Visiting Langkawi Island? How awesome! I’m here to make your Southeast Asia trip planning a breeze and help you decide where to stay in Langkawi!
I’ve been to Langkawi, absolutely LOVED my time there and would come back in a heartbeat! During my trip, I had a chance to stay in a couple of areas of the island and discover more of them.
Read this post to learn about 5 areas that are great for tourists to stay (and why) plus for each of them I am going to give you my top recommendations for resorts, and hotels (all have great reviews, I made sure of that!).
Patai Cenang is where to stay in Langkawi for the first time as it has the best beach, including fabulous accommodations and tourist attractions.
You’ll have a nice overview of all the visit-worthy places, so you can easily book your stay by the end of the article! Regarding booking, make sure you place that reservation in advance to secure the hottest deals!
If you are in a hurry
Here are the best Langkawi hotels to book now:
To make things even easier, here is a map where you can visualize the areas I’ll be talking about:
1. Pantai Cenang – where to stay in Langkawi for first-timers
The 2 km long beach town of Pantai Cenang is one of the busiest areas on the island, with a unique picturesque beach strip, many souvenir shops, a diversity of restaurants, and many tourist attractions for every kind of traveler! Think water sports activities like jet skiing and parasailing or fun, kid-friendly activities.
As one of the most beautiful areas on the island, Pantai Cenang has the prettiest beach in the whole of Malaysia. Plus, you will find the most beautiful resorts in this area!
Pantai Cenang is also known for its nightlife, a range of beachfront bars, lounges, live music, and cultural performances throughout the night.
Thirstday is my favorite bar in the area, right on the beach, featuring live music 6 days a week, stunning sunset views, and fabulous cocktails! Also, check out the Putumayo Restaurant nearby for the best seafood! Everyone raves about their tiger prawns, so if you’re a fan, feel free to visit and let me know how they were!
Street food is also quite popular in this area, so you can grab a local snack anytime! The Temoyong Night Market is open on Thursdays, so make sure you drop by!
Pantai Cenang place is jammed from December to March, so if you plan a stay at this time, I recommend booking months in advance!
NOTE 1: If you don’t stay in this area but still want to visit the beach, you can, but because the hotels there are so close to each other, you will need to find a sandy passageway in between to get in. It shouldn’t be a problem if you actually cross the hotel area to reach the beach shore.
NOTE 2: If you travel with kids (it is a very family-friendly area in fact!), don’t let them swim too far because there have been some accidents with non-cautious jet ski riders in the area.
Now, here are the best places to stay in Langkawi Pantai Cenang:
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Pelangi Beach Resort and Spa – Being one of the most gorgeous and spacious resorts here, this is an amazing option to stay in Pantai Cenang, right on the sandy shores, with wooden chalets and 2 free-form outdoor swimming pools. The Pelangi Beach Resort includes modern furniture, a flat-screen satellite TV, and a private balcony.
- La Villa – This modern one-bedroom property has its own private pool and balcony overlooking lush greenery, plus it offers bicycle rental and car hire service. Definitely a great option to enjoy and fully experience what Pantai Cenang offers.
Mid-range (from US$50 to US$100)
- Temple Tree Resort – Featuring a bar, garden, and pool views, Temple Tree Resort in Pantai Cenang has great facilities. You can also enjoy the restaurant, a 24-hour front desk, and room service, along with free Wi-Fi throughout the property.
- Mercure Langkawi – Situated in the best area in Pantai Cenang, this hotel offers rooms with pool views and a sun terrace where you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets of Pantai Cenang.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Rembulan Langkawi Guesthouse – This place offers adults-only accommodation with a shared lounge, a garden, and a terrace around 450 m away from the Pantai Cenang Beach. Plus, this budget-friendly hostel provides a shared kitchen, room service, and currency exchange for guests. Perfect for where to stay in Langkawi for backpackers, if you ask me!
- Attitude Resort Langkawi – This top-rated property is where to stay in Langkawi on a budget! It’s just 100 m from the local beach and has rooms with AC and a private beach area.
2. Pantai Tengah – where to stay in Langkawi on a budget
Pantai Tengah is basically a continuation of Pantai Cenang and is the longest part of the beach on Langkawi Island. It has a 500 m long beach and is close to the bars and restaurants but it’s also much quieter than Pantai Cenang.
It’s one of the best places to stay on the island if you’re traveling on a budget (or with a family, for that matter).
There might not be much sightseeing like at other tourist destinations, but this beach town does have many activities like going for a spa day, island-hopping tours, or beach activities like snorkeling or kayaking.
Top attractions nearby include the Underwater World Langkawi, a giant aquarium with over 200 different species with an underwater tunnel, and the duty-free zone.
For more inspiration on things to do in Langkawi, I have a whole article dedicated to the topic! Check it out here!
The accommodation in the area is more affordable while still offering a good service. Here are my recommendations:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- PARKROYAL Langkawi Resort – A fabulous 5-star resort near Patai Tengah Beach featuring a stunning outdoor pool, private parking, an airport shuttle, a gym, a beachfront location, and fabulous rooms.
- Ambong Pool Villas – These exclusive villas feature a restaurant, room service, bar, lush gardens, year-round outdoor pool, and terrace. The property is less than a kilometer from the white sand beach and is a great option for anyone staying in the area!
Mid-range (from US$50 to US$150)
- Hotel Aloft Langkawi Pantai Tengah – This modern and unique 4-star hotel is less than 200 m from the beach and has an outdoor swimming pool and fitness center if you want to skip the Andaman Sea shores. Their rooms are non-smoking, they include air-conditioning, and some even have a balcony.
- Ambong – Ambong Langkawi Rainforest Retreat – This beautiful resort has many suites for couples and is also one of the most family-friendly hotels on the island. Their property is on a steep hill within the lush rainforest and includes an outdoor pool, on-site spa, and massage services. My personal favorite for where to stay in Langkawi for couples!
Budget (up to US$50)
- Bed Attitude Hostel – Situated just a few meters from the beach, this hostel offers a shared kitchen, lounge, and free WiFi throughout the property.
- Royal Chenang Resort – With beautifully decorated rooms, this resort is a perfect choice if you want an ambient and calm place to enjoy the island.
3. Kuah Town – where to stay in Langkawi for convenience
Kuah Town is the capital of Langkawi Island and is also called Kuah or Bandar Kuah.
Although Kuah Town doesn’t have gorgeous beaches, it is filled with shopping complexes, outlets, hotels, handicraft shops, and, let’s not forget, the iconic Eagle Statue that is the symbol of the city! If you are looking for a unique blend of local vibes with an urban mood, this place may be for you!
A giant 12-meter Eagle Statue commemorates the red-backed eagles living on the island! The statue also serves as a guide to mariners, leading them to the Kuah port.
Kuah is situated on reclaimed land, meaning its waterfront does not have beautiful beaches but is more of a port for ferries. It is, however, a perfect place if you want to enjoy the weather but not necessarily the beach and go around discovering other attractions in the vicinity before continuing your trip closer to the beaches.
Oh, and don’t forget to capture the jewel of Langkawi’s skyline, the 138-meter-high MAHA tower (map) or go on a boat trip to Pulau Payar Marine Park!
You’ll also find a duty-free shopping zone here, making Kuah a great area for an update on electronics, clothes, or jewelry!
And if you’re around on a Wednesday or Saturday, check out the Pusur Bandar Kuah night market!
Here are the best hotels in Kuah Town:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- The St. Regis Langkawi – This amazing resort will have you feeling like royalty, and you won’t want to fly back home. You can sunbathe at its private beach, dip in the outdoor infinity pool or your own private villa pools, or stay in spacious rooms with elegant furniture and a home entertainment system.
- The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa – The Westin Langkawi Resort is a dream come true not only for its impeccable service but also for its private pool and recreation center, including pool and squash courts. The modern rooms have a plasma TV, a private bathroom with a glass-frosted rain shower, and a balcony.
Mid-range (from US$40 to US$150)
- Bayview Hotel Langkawi – This comfortable 4-star Bayview Hotel Langkawi features lovely Andaman Sea and hill views, an outdoor pool, and a well-equipped fitness center. The spacious rooms also have AC, a seating area with a flat-screen TV, and a private bathroom.
- Chill Suites – With its convenient location and lovely and attentive staff, this inn has a city or sea view for you to enjoy a chill evening in this part of the island.
Budget (up to US$40)
- Coral Reefs – This resort provides accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, an outdoor pool, a shared lounge, a bar, and a garden that will let you listen to and enjoy the lovely sounds of birds and the jungle in the morning. One of the best budget hotels around!
- Motodorm Langkawi – Mixed dormitory rooms, free bikes, and free Wi-Fi are all available in this property. The prices are some of the lowest on the island!
4. Tanjung Rhu – top place to stay for couples
In Tanjung Rhu, you can find the most beautiful crystal-clear waters with powder-fine sand! But to get here, you must go through a nice and adventurous pass through the jungle! You’ll arrive at a super nice and romantic place, ideal for couples or a honeymoon!
The Tanjung Rhu beach is a great place for water activities like kayaking, while the nearby Palau Anak Tikus Island (hiding 480 million-year-old fossils) makes for a great day trip idea. The nearby Crocodile Cave is also worth the trip!
Unlike most places in Langkawi, at Tanjung Rhu, you will feel the air clean and cool instead of terribly hot as it feels throughout the Island. In other words, it is a perfect destination if you are looking for a nice secluded beach with emerald blue waters away from the crowds.
These characteristics also make Tanjung Rhu a good place to stay in Langkawi for families!
Also, there are a lot of nice luxury hotels in this area, so you’re looking in for a treat.
These are the best options on where to stay in Tanjung Rhu:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- Four Seasons Resort Langkawi – This amazing 5-star hotel resort is close to the National Park and a couple of other beaches different from its own beach, and, I have to say, this is probably one of the best beaches I have been to! The amenities at Four Seasons Resort Langkawi include full-service spa facilities, a massive outdoor pool, a kids’ club, and a fitness center.
- Tanjung Rhu Resort – It is a modern and amazing resort right on the beach with facilities ranging from tennis courts to outdoor pools and sauna rooms. The rooms include timber floors, a flat-screen TV, private bathrooms, and a minibar.
Mid-range (from US$40 to US$150)
- Red Coral Cottage – This nice mid-range hotel gives you a cozy and small cottage on the beach bay that offers rooms for two or three people. All of the units include air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV, but only some have a private terrace.
- Sunset Bay Cottage – This beautiful cottage near the Andaman Sea is the best place for people to find beautiful, serene, and quiet beaches.
Budget (up to US$40)
- DVilla Guesthouse – With a beautiful garden view, this guesthouse provides accommodation with free WiFi and free private parking if you have a car to wander around the island. This guesthouse has rooms with mountains, landmarks, and garden views.
- Eagleye Cottages – It is a nice and colorful homestay option of chalet-style studios that include a living area, dining area, and kitchenette. There is a sun terrace and an intimate beach area for all the guests.
5. Pantai Kok – top area in Langkawi to stay for luxury
One of the most secluded and quiet beaches, perfect for sitting and hearing the sounds of waves while looking at the beautiful Malaysian sunset.
You might think that Pantai Kok is the most expensive and classy area in Langkawi island because of the many high-end upscale resorts along the beach, but that’s not all you will find there! The bay is surrounded by limestone hills and a huge jungle for a peaceful and romantic experience.
If you stay here, you’ll be close to the Langkawi Cable Car, the most important attraction on the island, with fabulous views!
The Langkawi Sky Bridge Cable Car is 125 m long, and it’s one of the longest curved suspension bridges (AND among the most spectacular!) in the world!
Another top experience in the area is the Paradise 101 private day-resort island with tons of water activities, restaurants, parasailing, live music shows, and whatnot! The ticket is around $US50 per person, and it grants you free beverages, access to the water park, an all-island shuttle, and so much more! You can see more details about the fees on their official website.
On the waterfront, you can find the Telaga Harbour Park, a small yachting marina with shops, bars, and restaurants. You can go for the cable car ride toward Mat Cincang Mountain or a trek to the Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls!
Pantai Kok is a great destination for families for its calm and scenic beaches and the diversity of nearby attractions and shops for all ages. Also, nearby, you’ll find Datai Bay with a lovely beach and The Datai Langkawi Hotel with stunning 750 acres of land where your kids can run free should you decide to stay here!
See my handpicked options of accommodations in Pantai Kok for you:
Luxury (US$150 and up)
- The Ritz Carlton Langkawi – As one of the best beachfront hotels in Langkawi, The Ritz features a private beach section, a tennis court, and a children’s playground. Their amenities also include free Wi-Fi on the property, an outdoor infinity pool, and a spa.
- The Danna Langkawi Resort – This elegant and modern resort is one of the best beach hotels in Langkawi that includes an outdoor pool, a spa, and a lounge. The beachfront property has wooden furniture, floor-to-ceiling windows, and a seating area with a flat-screen TV.
Mid-range (from US$80 to US$150)
- Berjaya Langkawi Resort – Described as one of the top hotels in Langkawi on the edge of the tropical rainforest, Berjaya Resort has small yet spacious Malayan-style chalets perfect for two people with private balconies and lovely wooden décor. The resort is right above the Andaman Sea, and as part of its facilities, it has a free-form outdoor pool, 4 restaurants, and a bar.
- Ombak Villa – With modern design and traditional Malay architecture, this villa has a half-sized Olympic pool by the beach, as well as pampering spa treatments, the perfect option if you want to enjoy your holidays with style.
Budget (up to US$80)
- Api-api Eco Chalet – Situated to the East of Pantai Kok, closer to the airport, this eco-chalet features an outdoor pool, room service, excellent breakfast, and a fabulous interior with lake views.
- Villa Abadi Resort – This 1-star hotel borders Pantai Cenang and Pantai Kok, and it’s one of the best budget hotels to stay in Langkawi with a homey vibe. The hotel has a billiards table and a swimming pool, too!
Bonus: Best hotels near Langkawi airport
If you have an early flight or a connecting flight with enough hours in between, staying close to the Langkawi International Airport is a great option.
Here are my recommendations for Langkawi hotels near the airport:
- Luxury: Kunang Kunang Heritage Villas – This nice villa is close to the airport and has an airport shuttle, as well as private parking for all those who plan on renting a car. Their facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and an on-site restaurant.
- Mid-range: Cloud9 Holiday Cottages – For mid-range travelers, this spacious and comfortable vacation home with AC, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV is a great choice. Other amenities in the units are private bathrooms with showers and a shared garden to relax.
- Budget: Pemandangan Indah Guest House – This guesthouse is perfect for enjoying a quick layover and a walk to explore the island. The rooms include a private bathroom fitted with a shower if you need to refresh yourself after or before a long flight. They offer airport shuttle services at extra cost.
Having a place to stay near the airport has its perks. However, if you want to visit an area that is close to the airport but still has its own characteristics, I recommend Padang Matsirat, a district known for its large green land, rice fields, and small villages, just 5 minutes away from the airport!
FAQs about where to stay in Langkawi
📍 What is the best area to stay in Langkawi?
📆 How many days in Langkawi is enough?
Since the island is small, 3 days will suffice to enjoy the amazing landscape and places on the island.
🛵 How can I move around the island?
You can move around the island with a scooter, a car rental (a safer option), or a taxi.
👪 What is the best place to stay with my family?
💵 Why is Langkawi so expensive?
A stay in Langkawi is often more expensive than in Kuala Lumpur or other nearby tourist places. The island has a high demand, especially during the high season, with plenty of luxury resorts, private villas, and expensive restaurants with roaring prices. However, you can also find cheap alternatives.
🗓️ What months are the best to travel to Langkawi?
From November to March! This is the dry season, and it’s when the weather is the most pleasant. From April to July is mid-season and is also acceptable.
🏝️ Is Langkawi better than Bali?
None is better than the other. Stay in Langawi if you prefer tranquility and serene surroundings with less touristy places. Bali is better for things to do and for bigger crowds. It all comes down to personal preferences!
🇲🇾 Which island is better, Penang or Langkawi?
Penang is better for a more active vacation and exploration. Langkawi is better for its serene setting perfect for relaxation. Your personal travel preferences will help you decide which island is ideal for you!
✖️ Which areas to avoid in Langkawi?
Langkawi is a safe island, including for solo female travelers. As with any other tourist destination, stay away from secluded or unlit areas at night, and you’ll be good to go!
Tourist traps can happen in Cenang, so beware not to get overcharged for food or souvenirs.
I hope that this list of places where to stay in Langkawi was useful for understanding how the island is divided and which area is best for you! Whether you are traveling solo or looking for family-friendly hotels/resorts, you should find your perfect place here!
I have chosen only the most awesome hotels with amazing reviews and great facilities, categorized by price range for your convenience, but if you asked me where to stay in Langkawi, these are my favorite options:
- The Datai Langkawi Resort – among the best luxury hotels to relax and enjoy the tropical landscape that includes a secluded beach
- Mercure Langkawi – situated in the best-rated area in Pantai Cenang, this definitely will be an excellent option for a stay in Langkawi
Whichever accommodation you choose for your Langkawi trip, I know you will love your stay there.
I wish you a great vacation in Langkawi! Make sure you book your favorite hotel as soon as possible to make sure you don’t miss out on valuable deals!
If you have any questions or would like to recommend other hotels, please leave them in the comments section below! I will gladly get back to you!
Enjoy your Langkawi vacation!
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!