Are you planning your dream island getaway to Koh Phangan? Check out my meticulously researched guide on choosing the perfect accommodation options on the island!
Koh Phangan holds a special place in my heart as my favorite Thai island. Having explored it extensively, I’m thrilled to introduce you to its various regions. In this post, I’ll walk you through the top 7 areas for tourists to stay, each offering a unique experience. I’ll provide insights into why each location is worth considering.
This island is perfect for all types of travelers from families, to couples and party enthusiasts!
But that’s not all – I’ve also curated a list of the best hotels and apartments in each of these areas. I’ve personally compared and selected the options with exceptional reviews, and they are categorized by price range for your convenience.
In a nutshell, Haad Rin would be my prime choice for first-time visitors (and seasoned travelers alike) as it boasts fun activities and gorgeous hotels! Make sure to dive into the details to discover my personal recommendations for where to stay.
Koh Phangan has become the ultimate island paradise for tourists from everywhere, so make sure you book your hotels here in advance, and secure your favorite spot!
If you are in a hurry…
Here is my short list below of the best hotels in Koh Phangan, Haad Rin, in the Surat Thani province:
Check out the map below, it has all the areas where to stay in Koh Phangan that I’ll talk about in this post:
Below you’ll find the top 7 areas on the island and my personalized recommendations for different types of travelers:
1. Thong Sala – best place to stay for first-timers
Welcome to the island’s main town and also its major transportation hub where you’ll find Koh Phangan’s biggest port (that has frequent trips to and from Koh Samui and Koh Tao).
Plus, there are also lots of buses and taxis that can take you to other parts of the island!
PRO TIP: If you want to book any bus, train, ferry or other tickets, I recommend this website where you can check all the prices and timetables.
Thong Sala is one of the best places in Koh Phangan for first-timers as you’ll initially arrive here by ferry, set base, and afterwards take day trips or tours to other parts of Koh Phangan. If you are just looking into fully relaxing on the beach, you can completely skip it though and refer to all the below areas (after 4).
Here you’ll get a more local feel, not many tourists stay here as most venture out into the island and find hotels in other areas. You could still spend a night in Thongs Sala, on the West Coast, and explore the area.
There are lots of shops, restaurants and a pretty decent nightlife, Amsterdam Bar is a fab place to catch the sunset and have some drinks! I went there a few times and loved it!
Note: When looking on the map you’ll see that some areas are referred as “Moo” which is usually translated as village though it can encompass more than 1 village.
I guess the only downside would be that there are not many amazing beaches (as the ones you’ll find on the other parts of the island).
But what makes many people love Thong Sala is its amazing markets! That’s right, the Saturday Walking Street Market (map), the Pantip Market and the Phangan Food Court will become your favorite sites in the area!
In these places you’ll get to browse and taste yummy Thai food all day (and night) which is one of the best things to do in Koh Phangan!
And if you’re into sports and want to try something you could go to a Muay Thai lesson (basically Thai boxing), there are lots of gyms in Thong Sala, like the Thong Sala Stadium.
Luxury (US$80 and up)
- Lime N Soda Beachfront Resort – set on the beautiful Thong Sala Beach, this fab hotel comes with an outdoor swimming pool, your own private beach area and lots of fun activities like cooking classes and water sports.
- Islandlife Bungalows – a fabulous beachfront property that offers some of the best beach bungalows in Koh Phangan, outdoor pool, a restaurant and a bar where you can enjoy some drinks at sunset!
Mid-range (from US$40 – US$80)
- First & Frang Hotel – the rooms at this Thong Sala hotel come with a small kitchen and free Wi-fi! Guests will also have access to laundry facilities and to a business center.
- Phangan Island View – simple and modern! Definitely one of the best accommodation options in Thong Sala, which offers an outdoor swimming pool, a garden and an on-site restaurant.
Budget (up to US$40)
- Phangan Barsay Hostel – enjoy a free yoga lesson at this great hostel that has shared and private rooms. This Koh Phangan accommodation also has a shared kitchen and it sometimes organizes movie nights!
- Coco Garden Resort – chill in the hammock while admiring the sea views, while staying at this hotel that has a restaurant and a spa center.
2. Haad Rin – best place for the Full Moon Party
Famous for its monthly Full Moon Party, which is one of the biggest events ever with thousands of tourists coming from all parts of the island! Here’s the official website where you can check all the details (usually the party is held at the end of the month as that’s when the Full Moon is).
Haad Rin is packed with stunning white sand beaches (the most important ones are Sunrise Beach and Sunset Beach), gorgeous views and lots of accommodation options.
This area is surely one that you don’t want to miss out on!
By the way, if you’re coming during the Full Moon Party I recommend booking your hotels super early as it gets super crowded and all the hotels and resorts sell out!
The atmosphere here is so vibrant, especially at night! But don’t worry you’ll always find plenty of things to do in Haad Rin during the day too, like hiking and exploring the beaches.
Actually, nowadays lots of families come to Haad Rin when there’s not a Full Moon Party as the the beach is one of the best ones on the island, plus the prices are much lower before and after the famous party.
Make sure you check out those near Haad Rin too, like Baan Kai Beach and Head Khontee.
Haad Rin is set on the southern tip of the island (around a 15 min drive from the main ferry terminal) and it has a bit of everything! Great restaurants, some stores from where you can get really cool souvenirs like artwork and traditional Thai goods and plenty of bars (they’re big on nightlife here)!
During the day you can try all the fun water sports on Haad Rin Beach! They have everything here from sailing, diving, paragliding, jet skiing, and kayaking!
P.S. If you’re getting to Koh Phangan by air, you will land in Koh Samui Airport and take a short ferry from them. Just FYI – Koh Samui Airport is awesome, you will love its cozy design and little cute trains that take you from the gate to the plane. They also have a nice Courtesy corner there – a place where you can take some snacks and drinks absolutely for free! Have you seen any other airports like that?
And for those who want to spend some time in Koh Samui before heading to Koh Phanga, I’ve got this amazing post with where to stay in Koh Samui, that’s packed with incredible tips!
Luxury (US$120 and up)
- Princess Paradise Koh Phangan – enjoy the surrounding natural beauty while drinking your coffee on the balcony of this luxury resort that’s set on a private beach! Its infinity pool is perfect for sunset pics and they also offer lots of activities!
- Vannee Golden Sands – catch a scenic sunrise from your room that overlooks the ocean at one of the best hotels on this Thai island! The hotel offers a beautiful outdoor swimming pool, a great location on a private beach and a spa center.
Mid-range (from US$50 – US$120)
- Palita Lodge – boasting rooms with all necessary facilities, this Koh Phangan accommodation offers an outdoor swimming pool, a restaurant and a garden where you can chill under the palm trees!
- The Sea Resort – start your days with a sunbathing sesh by the infinity pool of this hotel that’s set on a stunning beach in Haad Rin! The hotel boasts rooms with air conditioning and a complimentary breakfast.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Richmond Guesthouse – here’s a super affordable place near Haad Rin Beach that has family rooms with air-conditioning and a balcony.
- Moonstone Studio – set within walking distance of the Full Moon Party (attending it is one of the best things to do in koh phangan at night), and the beautiful beaches, this hotel offers spacious rooms, an outdoor pool and a bar.
3. Haad Baan Tai – where to stay in Koh Phangan for partying
Although Haad Rin is known as a major party scene because it hosts the famous Full Moon party there are many other places on the island where you can enjoy some cocktails on the beach and listen to live music.
Baan Tai Beach is one of those places, and it has a pretty fab location, nestled between Haad Rin and Thong Sala.
That means you’re still close to the Full Moon Party but not right in the middle of all the madness!
During the day the vibe is pretty chill and the long sandy beach, on the West Coast, is packed with tourists trying different water sports and beach bars that turn into the main sought locations after the sun sets! Tiki Beach Bar is a great place to start the night!
This is also a pretty good option if you’re visiting Koh Phangan for the first time and you’ll find lots of hotels at a reasonable price.
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Sunshine Residence – wake-up in a tropical paradise while staying at one of the best luxury hotels in Haad Baan Tai! Definitely book the private pool villa that also has a small kitchen, a lounge area and a small patio.
- Summer Luxury Beach Resort & Spa – an amazing resort that’s surrounded by lush greenery and that offers rooms with fab decor, 2 swimming pools and a restaurant.
Mid-range (from US$45- US$100)
- Samutra Residences – this beachfront property is perfect for you! You’ll sleep like a baby in their cottages (after a night of partying) and then you can order some room service and continue the day by the pool!
- La Plage Resort & Beach Club – this lovely resort has a great location, a beach club and an outdoor pool where you can enjoy some cocktails and the amazing views!
Budget (up to US$45)
- Hostel Phangan – perfect for those who want to explore Baan Tai Beach, this affordable hostel has rooms with air-conditioning, coffee makers and free Wi-Fi.
- Sea Love Beach Bar & Bungalows – a great place to stay in Baan Tai that’s located right on the beach! Here you’ll enjoy massages on the beach, laundry facilities and room service!
4. Srithanu – best place in Koh Phangan for wellness
Don’t you just love the good old relaxed island life where you can chill for hours on a white sandy beach, swim in the ocean and enjoy some shade under the palm trees?
If that’s the rhythm you prefer then add Srithanu to your Koh Phangan itinerary! Offering a more relaxed atmosphere than the areas above, this area is set on the Western side of the island near Hin Kong Beach (which you should definitely visit).
Srithanu Beach is the perfect place to start your day and you can head to Flamingo Beach Bar & Restaurant for a cup of coffee and a smoothie.
Speaking of smoothies, Srithanu is a big wellness hot spot and there are many yoga studios around here! Lots of people come on this part of Koh Phangan island for yoga retreats, detox programs and other types of wellness activities!
You’ll also find some temples, not too far from Srithanu Beach, that you can visit like the Wat Sri Thanu Buddhist temple.
Hotels may be a bit more expensive here compared to the previous areas but don’t worry, I made sure to add below something for all budgets!
As I mentioned, the area is pretty tranquil, however there are some beach clubs where you can enjoy a drink after a day of sunbathing and swimming! The Monkey Bar is a great one!
Or you can just go on an exploration and check out the stunning beaches nearby! There are some really great ones like Hin Kong Beach, Zen Beach, Pirate Beach, and Haad Yao beach which is a bit further away than the first 3 I mentioned.
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Amaya Boutique Resort – if you’re looking for a quiet place on Koh Phangan island then this resort is for you ! Tucked away between lush greenery, this hotel offers rooms with a furnished patio where you can enjoy your coffee in the morning, an outdoor pool and a bar.
- Mangata Boutique Bungalows – grab your favorite book and chill in your hammock set on the patio of your Thai bungalow! This amazing resort has a private beach area, an outdoor pool and it also offers room service.
Mid-range (from US$50 – US$100)
- Nice Sea Resort – ever wanted to stay in a bungalow right on the beach? Then this hotel is surely for you as it offers just that, plus a private beach area, a restaurant and a shuttle service to different island attractions (for an extra charge).
- Bamboo Bay Island Resort – perfect for those who want to stay in an authentic Thai bungalow, this beach resort boasts spa facilities, a free airport shuttle and a restaurant.
Budget (up to US$50)
- Shanti Boutique Hotel – enjoy your stay in Koh Phangan, at this amazing hotel that has rooms with balconies and sea views, an outdoor pool and a restaurant.
- Seetanu Bungalows – great for those traveling on a budget, these bungalows come with a small patio, a beachfront location and a swimming pool.
5. Chaloklum – where to stay for nature lovers
Sure, the whole of Koh Phangan is like paradise on earth for those who love the great outdoors!
But there are a few places on the island where the natural side was left to flourish in its own rhythms without any obstructions and Chaloklum is one of those places!
I am not really a party animal myself so I mainly hung out in various places on the North of the island and I can highly recommend it for people who are simply looking for peace and quiet, local vibe and some fantastic views!
Yep, you’ll get some pretty amazing pictures here! The tree-lined white sand beach with the turquoise blue water and the super colorful fishing boats! Now that’s a sight to remember!
Chaloklum is definitely the place to go for those of you who love adventures! To be honest, there’s never a dull moment here, and when you’re not drinking yummy coffees or eating yummy food in its fab restaurants and cafes (Foods & Roots is a great place), you’ll probably go on expeditions and explore its scenic trails in the lush jungle.
As for those who prefer the underwater realms, fear not, there are lots of diving spots around!
Ugh, what a dream this place is!
Another great perk for those staying here is that they’ll be pretty close to lots of iconic spots on the island like Haad Salad Beach (around 3 miles away) which is also a pretty tranquil spot and Haad Yao Beach (4 miles away) which is considered one of the best snorkeling spot on the island, definitely head there if you’re a beach lover.
Luxury (US$80 and up)
- Suan Residence – statues of deities, palm trees, lush greenery, this place is a keeper! Book a room here and you’ll enjoy a pool view, furnished balcony with some kitchen facilities and a garden.
- Coconut Beach Bungalows – immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Koh Phangan while staying at this resort that offers beautiful bungalows that overlook some of the best beaches in the area and an outdoor pool.
Mid-range (from US$40 – US$80)
- Silan Residence – enjoy an authentic village experience in this sustainable holiday home that has 2 swimming pools, garden and which offers access to a beautiful beach.
- Baan Bhuwann Holiday Apartment – feel right at home at this amazing place to stay in Koh Phangan that has a pool and a patio with garden views.
Budget (up to US$40)
- Mythai Guesthouse – some simple yet modern rooms in a great hotel surrounded by greenery! This accommodation offers a restaurant and a sun terrace.
- Baan Moonchan House – relax and commune with mother nature in this lovely place that offers houses with a balcony and a small kitchen.
6. Mae Haad – best place in Koh Phangan for relaxation
This area’s beauty has reached the ears of many eager Koh Phangan tourists and for good reason! This area is perfect if you are looking for some peace and quiet and want to do some beach hopping and maybe snorkeling.
Mae Haad Beach is my favorite beach on the island! It is one of the most stunning beaches around and just off the coast from it (connected by a long strip of sand which is walkable during the low tides) lies the even more amazing Koh Ma island!
I would recommend this area for those who just want to relax during the holiday and also those who prefer staying in luxury resorts. Mae Haad and the beaches around Mae Haad are known for hosting a few resorts that are super fancy!
But until then, let’s get back to Mae Haad Beach, where by the way you can enjoy some fab massages right on the sandy shores!
When you’re not exploring the other beautiful beaches around you can enjoy some yummy food at one of the restaurants around Mae Haad beach like Lemongrass Restaurant or Mae Haad Tree House Bar and Restaurant!
Mae Haad is also a pretty nice place to stay in Koh Phangan for families, as it’s not super crowded and has a fair share of family hotels. You will also see that the area offers pretty much everything from cheap bungalows to very fancy hotels.
Luxury (US$80 and up)
- Maehaad Bay Resort – set right on Mae Haad Beach this beach resort is simply fabulous! Spend your time chilling by the 2 swimming pools, or trying some water sports! The rooms at this coast resort boast Thai decors and you’ll absolutely love the traditional food that they serve at the on-site restaurant.
- Bay Villas Koh Phangan – if you love waking up to a breathtaking view of the ocean then this hotel is for you! Set near Mae Haad on Haad Salad Beach, this hotel boasts some great villas with modern decorations and private pools!
Mid-range (from US$40 – US$80)
- Maehaad Garden Inn – sleep like a baby in this amazing hotel set within walking distance of Mae Haad Beach that has a garden and an on-site mini-market.
- Phangan Utopia Resort – this hotel offers some incredible ocean views, which you can admire from its outdoor pool. It also comes with a restaurant and a bar.
Budget (up to US$40)
- Pim Bungalow – a cute bungalow where you can enjoy some peace and quiet! The accommodation has a garden and also a terrace.
7. Thong Nai Pan – best place for a romantic getaway
Looking for a secluded paradise?
Then Thong Nai Pan is definitely for you! This area is set on the North-Eastern part of Koh Phangan and it is only 30 min away from Haad Rin if you are missing the hustle and bustle.
This area here has 2 bewitching beaches that you’ll fall in love with, Thong Nai Pan Noi Beach and Thong Nai Pan Yai Beach (both are perfect for snorkeling, by the way!).
I definitely think this is one of the most beautiful and idyllic parts of the island, maybe because it has that perfect mix of lush vegetation, crystal clear water and white sandy shores! Just imagine that for a sec and you won’t think twice before booking your hotel here!
Its remote and concealed location makes Thong Nai Pan perfect for those planning a romantic getaway! Here you won’t be disturbed and you’ll get to enjoy the amazing weather and all the attractions in peace.
Which I think family would enjoy too, so if you’re bridging the whole crew, definitely consider this place!
There are lots of fun things to do on Thong Nai Pan Beach, everything from water sports to yoga on the beach (definitely a yes) and massages on the beach too (another big yes)! Plus there are many other places to discover nearby like Bottle Beach!
Thong Nai Pan also has lots of luxurious resorts and fancy bungalows for those who want to make their holiday even more special and unforgettable!
Luxury (US$100 and up)
- Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort and Spa – excuse me, but is this what heaven on earth looks like? It does give that vibe and just wait until you see your villa which has a mix of Thai and modern decors and a large balcony! The resort also offers spa facilities.
- Anantara Rasananda – treat yourself in the champagne and wine lounge of this resort that’s perfect for a romantic getaway! The accommodation also boasts spa facilities and 2 restaurants.
Mid-range (from US$40 – US$100)
- Koh Phangan Pavilions – tucked away between Koh Phangan’s lush jungles, this hotel boasts apartments with a balcony and a bar! Grab a cocktail and head to the infinity pool for a swim and to admire the breathtaking sights.
- The Hill Village – these cute houses have everything you need for your holiday and some even have a spa bath! You’ll also find a pool, an indoor play area for the kids and some spa facilities.
Budget (up to US$40)
- Phuwadee Resort – set right on the gorgeous Thong Nai Pan beach, this resort has a great price, an outdoor pool and a restaurant.
FAQs about where to stay in Koh Phangan
🌕 Where Should I stay for the Full Moon Party?
🚕 What is the best way to move around the island?
Taking a taxi is the safest method and has good value for money, especially if you are sharing with friends.
📍 What is the best way to get to Koh Phangan?
The best way to get to Koh Phangan is to board a plane to Koh Samui Airport and front here take a fast boat to the island.
🏝️ What activities can I do in Koh Phangan?
Some of the best things to do in Koh Phangan are to attend the Full Moon Party, to hike to the Bottle Beach, visit the beautiful Koh Ma island and try all the water sports like snorkeling, kayaking and others!
🔝Is Koh Phangan worth visiting?
Yes, absolutely! Koh Phangan is one of the most beautiful islands in Thailand and it has gorgeous white sand beaches, lush jungles and lots of fun things to do.
🏝️ What is the best place to stay in Koh Phangan?
Haad Rin and Chaloklum are some of the best places to stay in Koh Phangan. The first is perfect for party lovers and the second one for those who love nature and outdoor activities.
🤩 What is the main area of Koh Phangan?
The south west of Koh Phangan is one of the major areas on the island as that’s where you’ll find Thong Sala, the main town which is also a major transportation hub.
Phew, this was a long one but I bet it was worth it to stay until the very end, right?
Plus you now know more about the island and you’ve seen which are the top areas where to stay in Koh Phangan, the most gorgeous hotels here and the best beaches!
I know it’s a tough one, picking just one place, but don’t forget that you can (and definitely should) explore the whole island!
If you’re having a hard time trying to pick a hotel, here are my top 2 favorite ones, both set in Haad Rin:
- Princess Paradise Koh Phangan – set right on the white sand beach, this hotel offers a pool and breathtaking ocean views
- Palita Lodge – a great hotel that’s surrounded by lush greenery that has an outdoor pool
So, when are you coming? As you can see, this island and its unique location (close to Koh Samui) makes Koh Phangan a tourist destination all year long!
Do not forget to book in advance, and definitely let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to help you out!
Psssst… If you want to read everything I have to say about Thailand, you can find all the posts about this amazing country here.
Pint it for later!
Pin it for later!